Make a Macrame Plant Hanger - Sunday 21st January, 2018
Class Name: 1 x Plant Hanger
Level of Difficulty: Easy to Intermediate
Prior Knowledge Required: None
- Up to 30m of natural 100% 4mm cotton rope or 6mm cotton cased rope, or 30m of nylon braided cord. Lots & lots of colour choices..
- Selection of beads to choose. Further supplies of beads and cottons are available, of course, for sale on the day!
Date & Time: Sunday 21st January, 2018 - 12noon to 2pm
You will Make: This class is an introduction to some basic knotting techniques for macramé. You will learn to make a simple pot plant hanger and how to incorporate a few different knots as well as incorporating beads (if desired) to further ornament your creation.
Class Description: What is Macramé? Macramé is an art of decorative knotting without using needles or hooks. By using a series of knots, ornamental patterns are created. Macramé can be created using any kind of material. You can use fine thread to make macramé lace or even use leather strips. By a special technique, the macramé craft keeps the knots in place while the work is being done. Macramé can be tried by anyone with a passion to create with little or no experience. It is an ancient technique, believed to have originated in 14th or 15th century to use leftover threads on the end of looms, and expanded to incorporate jewellery, home furnishings, clothing ornamentation and many other uses.
You will learn:
- How to measure, cut and set up the ropes
- Simple to intermediate knotting techniques
- Creating different patterns by placement and knotting of cords
- How to add beads for decoration
- How to make fringing or different endings on your project
- Methods of finishing off the piece.
Photos: Samantha holding her green plant hanger - her first ever project. Annie's purple hanger. A mustard creation from our previous class.
What you need to bring:
- Close-up working specs if you need them
- A small favourite pot, and a jar or bottle, if desired. These are not necessary if you don't have them on hand.
Tutor: The class is run by Bead Shack’s owner, Kerry Dove, who has years of professional experience in working with adults. Kerry holds Certificate IV in Workplace Training & Assessment, as well as having years of experience helping adults learn and realise their own potential. The size of the class is kept small to allow plenty of one-on-one attention and the maximum number of students for this class is 8.
- All materials are included in the cost of the class. Materials used are good quality - Bead Shack will never sell anything that we wouldn’t use ourselves!
- The classes are all run by expert tutors with years of experience, who are friendly, knowledgeable and approachable.
- The size of the classes is kept small to allow plenty of one-on-one attention and the maximum number of students for this class is 8.
- Bead Shack has a dedicated work room for classes on the premises.
- Bead Shack carries full liability insurance to $20m for your safety and assurance.
- Should you not finish your project within the given time parameters, you will not leave without an understanding of how to go about finishing your project at home!
Payment: 50% deposit is payable at time of booking, with the balance paid on, or before, the day of the class. You can pay via the website or by phone using credit card, or by bank direct deposit into Bead Shack's account.
Cancellations: If you need to cancel your booking, a full refund will be given if made 1 week prior to class, or if your spot can be filled with another student before the class is run. Otherwise, half of your deposit will be forfeit. Bead Shack reserves the right to postpone any given class, for whatever reason (staffing, minimum numbers etc) and if this is the case, your deposit will carry over to the next class, or be refunded in full, if preferred.
If you have any questions regarding this, or other courses please don't hesitate to get in touch.
Directions: Find the bakery in the main street, walk right through the arcade next to the Bakery, and outside. There is a blue sign pointing you down a little path that leads you to our door!
There is plenty of car parking behind the main street (entrance on Greta Street). Bead Shack is to the right after you come up the lane, just to the right and down, from Natural Necessity Surf Shop.